| Figure 1. Winter |
![]() |
| Figure 2. The Iron King Trail |
And off we went, to the Iron King Trailhead, with two bikes, our Chariot, and the typical picnic faire and supplies. It was a gorgeous day at home...but a little windy on the trail. In fact, we had what we in the biz call a "headwind" all the way until we approached the lake. On top of that, the trail was uphill. On top of that, it was over four miles uphill, and Stefani hasn't ridden her bicycle in a while. On top of that, I've never pulled the kids in the dirt / mud in the trailer which was stuffed with picnic necessities, such as:
- Picnic blanket (I believe it was a gift to us at one point, but can't remember)
- Picnic essentials, such as:
- Bread slices
- Cheese slices (only the finest Tilamook cheddar)
- Mayonnaise in a small baggie (see, instead of carrying a knife, take the mayo and put it in a snack-size baggie. Then, when it's time to spread it, cut off the tip of the bag and spread it like frosting, and use the cheese slice to spatula any of the remainder)
- Turkey
- Potato chips (because it is an Evans Family Directive that chips accompany EVERY sandwich)
- Granola bars
- Pretzels
- Orange slices
- Crackers for the kiddos
- Ample water
- Peanut butter and jelly for Hammer
- Diaper bag (just in case)
- Camera
So, it was not a light load, but we both made it just fine. Fine enough to enjoy a picnic.
| Figure 3. Picnic Activity |
And it was an enjoyable time. The kids absolutely loved walking around in the Dells, and Hammer learned the time-honored tradition of throwing rocks at girls. So, add that to the potty training, sharing, and apologizing list of things I need to accomplish. Kenzi made more attempts to eat dirt, but Stefani made sure to intervene at the right moment...kind of like when Hammer would open the door to the porta-potty when I was inside with my pants down.
But for a January afternoon, it wasn't too shabby. In fact, it was awesome. And so was the trail, because after 4+ miles of in-the-wind uphill riding, 4+ miles of tailwind-enhanced downhill riding made the trail back to the car an enjoyable time. Except for Hammer and Kenzi, as their tiredness could not overcome the bumps on the trail. And we forgot milk.
Here's to a few more days of enjoying Arizona, time with the family, and relaxation (minus the midnight requests for Thomas and Friends). Soon, I will be a few miles away, knee-deep in studying, enjoying the finest hotel room my employer can negotiate for under $40/night.

is that the lake you and i explored, roy? is it ok if i look at that picture? i am afraid if i do Kenzi will start crying.
ReplyDeleteFeel free to look at it. I'll cover her eyes. Wait. Better idea. Get one of those beard nets that cooks have to wear. That should hide the beard that scares her.
ReplyDeleteDifferent lake. Probably don't want to fish anything out of this lake except yourself if you fall in. Then again, the Wikipedia says there's some crap in there...I mean carp. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson_Lake_(Arizona)
I must have missed the memo. I love the new blog. You guys are so cute. Can't wait to see you Stef! Love your guts!!
ReplyDelete