Monday, February 14, 2011
Ground Training - DONE.
This is what I've been doing for the last two weeks. Looks like I'm deep into concentration, but really, I'm pretending that I'm testing the alarm lights as part of the Originating Check (mind you my hand is really on the Sterile Cockpit light). But really, this is about it. Oh, well, there's the eight hours of classes a day, plus the countless hours of group study, individual study, and some time here and there for a little meal, nap, time to "space out", and attend to my personal hygiene. But really, that's about it. And a few yoga routines.
Ground school is as fun as it can be. Thankfully, we're lucky to have two instructors that not only know their stuff, but love doing what they do, and can make a few wise cracks here and there. Also, we've got a great gaggle of Baby Captains who are also able to take a few wise cracks. It will surely be a great time once we're all out on the line.
More important than systems, though, is flows. Flows are methodical orders established for completing checklist items that pilots are required to memorize. Such things as Propeller Overspeeds to Emergency Evacuations to the Engine Start Flow are examples of these. In college, flows were the way of life. See, back when I was just a plain ol' Private Pilot, checklists were done in a 'read-do' format, like somebody reading a recipe then doing what the recipe is instructing. Nowadays, with the cost of fuel, the complexity of aircraft systems, and the growing number of tasks that need to be completed, flows help keep things organized, quick, and efficient. Obviously, a checklist will be used to back-up the flow, but now items completed in the flow can be given your complete attention.
There's a few flows to memorize, and, since we're all upgrading, we've been tasked to learn the First Officer flows as our sim partners are also our classmates (all upgrades) and since we're hiring pilots, we've been told that knowing their flows will help us make sure things get done correctly. Great. Add that to systems of an airplane I've never flown, all the profiles, procedures, emergency actions, and now you can see where my time is going.
As stressful as that all may sound, we all successfully completed our Ground Training portion of the upgrade/transition. Last Friday, after successfully completing the Systems final, the Emergency Equipment test (where 100% was required), and our flow validation, we were all given our Captain wings, our Certificates of Completion, and a gaggle of firm handshakes from our peers and our instructors.
So here I am, home for a few days, while half of the class is traveling to Fresno to get a head-start on the simulator portion of training. And while I may have some days to relax, realistically, I'll be studying. Right between the story times, the Thomas movies, and the fort building. Might be tougher than I thought. Oh well. I figure if I remember the ol' 'houses get bigger, houses get smaller' concept, I'll do just fine. Right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment