Sunday, January 2, 2011

Kenzi's First Birthday (belated)

Well, after a six day stretch of work (and my last extended period of time away from home for at least a month) I finally made it home.  Sadly, it was a few days after Kenzi's actual birthday, but seeing as though Hammer believes in Santa, an Elf that reports to Santa, as well as a train that has a talking boiler, a bilingual handyman that has a toolbox full of talking hand tools, and cars with talking radiators, I figure Kenzi wouldn't realize the celebration was a few days late.  I know, it may sound like I'm saying she's not smart, but I will point out that she is almost walking, and loves 747's over other toys.

Figure One: My Princess

As you can tell, my Kenzi is the cutest thing on the block.  So, no ordinary birthday party celebration would suffice.  In fact, thanks to some leftover snow around the hood, and my love for shoveling snow (I must point out I am not being sarcastic as I honestly do enjoy shoveling snow), I made it very easy to convince our awesome neighbors to come out and enjoy some pizza and cupcakes with us and our precious girl.  And, with Papa always looking for some time to hang out with his favorite granddaughter, the party was complete.

Much like I've avoided in the Christmas realm of posting all the cute stuff the kids received, I'll spare you the details.  However, I will mention that Stefani had purchased this tiny shopping cart for Kenzi and had it in the closet for a long time.  We thought Kenzi would love pushing it around and filling it with toys and dolls, but when we bought the kids a giant 747 that they can sit on and I can control with a remote, we thought Hammer would surely love it.  False.  He is scared to death of that thing.  Kenzi, on the other hand, lets me drive her into walls, make her dizzy, and all kinds of scary maneuvers that can be completed on something slightly smaller than a Power Wheels vehicle.  So, Kenzi liked her cart, but Hammer absolutely adored it.

More and more each day we see that Hammer is more like Stefani and Kenzi is more like me.  It's cute.

So, I should live up to my promise to make my blog more educational by sharing something with you that's insightful and useful.  Here it goes.

If you're a fan of Chick-Fil-A (click the link to get directions to the closest one to you), you're probably aware of their "Chick-Fil-A" sauce.  If you love it like I do, you have your wife horde some packets when she makes her pilgrimage to the best chicken sandwich joint in the valley.  And, currently, our fridge does have a few packets left.  But seeing as though I am trying to be more resourceful in the kitchen (more resourceful than being able to cook a Hot Pocket (link goes to Jim Gaffigan's Hot Pocket skit which is required viewing if you haven't seen it yet)), I thought I'd try to make the sauce and improve on it.  And, seeing as though one of my New Year's Resolutions is to be as unselfish as possible, I'll share my new recipe for the sauce.

Figure Two: The Chemistry Lab

Take some Sweet Baby Ray's (you know it's "award winning' claim is legit because the award is on the label itself), some Beaver Sweet Honey Mustard, and some plain Mayo and mix it together.  I'd guess 1.5 parts mayo, 1 part mustard and bbq sauce.  Mix it up and BAM.  Chick-Fil-A sauce with a bite.

Ok.  Educational and delicious.

So back to Kenzi.  Well, as we tried with Hammer (he just couldn't do it), we gave her one day where she was allowed to make as big as a mess as she wanted, and this is what came of it.  I must thank Stefani for the best Christmas present ever (a magnetic Gorillapod) that made this video possible.

[click the image below to watch the movie]

1 comment: