Saturday, January 8, 2011

The End is the Beginning is the End

Figure 1.  The Beginning and The End. 
I have this weird habit that when I am looking at computers, keyboards, or anything with a keyboard attached to it, that I have to somehow evaluate the ergonomics of said keyboard by typing "The End is the Beginning is the End" over and over again.  I don't know why, but I just do.  But, the other day it brought with it some significance that I'd like to share.

After a few years of waiting for my time in line, I was awarded an opportunity to upgrade to Captain.  While it is every pilot's dream to upgrade to Captain, it has been mine more-so the last few months than ever.  As many of my pilot friends can attest to, something is going to happen within the aviation industry, and it's time I get ready.  Whether it is a massive amount of retirements followed by a massive hiring binge, or the destruction of the regional airline market, something is going to change.  And I want to be ready.  Ready to become a single-income family, and have a ton more babies.

Little did I know that two weeks ago I would have flown my (potentially) last flight in the Barbie Jet.  If I would have known that, I would have done a better job in Appleton, but you're going to have to cut me some slack...it was gusting over 35 knots (for you non-airplane readers, 'knots' is shorthand for 'nautical miles per hour', which airplanes use over miles per hour because of the correlation between nautical miles and the earth grid system) which is just over 40 miles per hour.  And I would have preferred to fly with some of my more memorable Captains in my last month, and share some laughs, a few stories, and a decent game of Travel Scrabble, I think I went out with a bang (or two, if you count the side-loaded upwind main landing gear).

My upgrade class comes at the time where Stefani and I were planning on taking the kids somewhere warm.  She said "Florida" but I deemed "New Zealand" appropriate.  So...warm weather is going to have to wait for a while.  It also comes at a time where we realize that we're going to have to rely on our support group to help out with the babies.  A lot.

See, I'm upgrading into an airplane to which I've never flown.  And, even a super pilot like myself is intimidated because of this.  But I know that with the right amount of studying, and (sadly) some time away from the kids (to the tune of three weeks of training) will help me be successful in my quest for greatness (and a passing score).  I'm happy that my friends have been encouraging me to start studying now, and I'm happy to report my first limitation memory item: flight with the window open (yes, finally an airplane with opening windows) is permitted up to 140 knots (161 mph).  Bubble hard in the double R flashin' the rings, with the window cracked, holler back, money ain't a thing.  Jay-Z knows what I'm talking about.

All excitement aside, the probability that I will not be home as much is high.  Having to commute to what I deem a third-world country (some call it Central California) is going to be an additional challenge.  The probability that I will be "on-call" versus on a schedule for a few months is slight, but enough to warrant some stress.  But the challenge...the adventure...is going to be worth it, right?  We'll see what my new friends at the Coarsegold KOA have to say about it.


So, the end is the beginning is the end.  And here's the end of this post.  Hammer is dancing around watching his shadow and I can't miss my opportunity for the next dance.

1 comment: